Wednesday, January 7, 2009

I've got a dilemma. I confronted a person very very close to me about something he is doing that I and (others who said things to me about it) saw as a health danger and bad choice, and which had been going on for a while. An addiction from all appearances. The upshot is that after our talk, things turned nasty between us, as he went into total denial mode. Now I'm wondering at my decision to confront. I know I'd want someone to talk to me if the shoe were on the other foot, but now I've probably lost someone who has always been closer than close to me over the issue. Your thoughts appreciated.

Dear Seeker,

First of all, not enough can be said about the kind of caring, compassionate friend who honestly confronts someone they love and tries to help. It's a risk--and you knew that going in--but you had the courage to risk the friendship to ultimately save the health of your friend. Stop wondering, you did the right thing.

Now, for the fallout. In time, your friend may see the wisdom and caring in your choice to confront. Or, he may not. Be patient, try to give him lots of room, and if you believe in God, pray for him. You may also want to consider reaching out to his parents and sharing your concern. They should feel lucky their son has a friend like you. The Truth Teller

No comments:

Post a Comment